This article breathes into the University of Venda. It aims to shed light on the university since its existence, its approaches to education, the positive strides over the years that can potentially equip any prospective applicant with the right amount of information to decide their educational endeavor.
The University of Venda famously known as Univen is a comprehensive rural-based university. By comprehensive, we mean the university is focused on conducting a significant amount of research, centered on offering a wide range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs.
Univen, a public university was established in 1982 under the Venda government. It is a one-campus institution located in Thohoyandou. The initial goal was to serve the inhabitants of Venda Bantustan but people from other parts became students as well.
As of 2012, the university had enrolled a total number of 11,000 students. Currently, its student population is estimated at 16,300 with more than 800 academic staff.
The University of Venda is ranked globally at 4046 out of 14, 160. Continentally, it is positioned at 97 out of 1,103. South Africa, has the 18th position out of 26. When it comes to Alumni impact, it is 55,81 out of 8,209 and 66,35 out of 14,160 for non-academic prominence.
Notable amongst the university’s alums are Ronald Lamola, Shirley Machaba, Faith Muthambi plus more.
Univen’s Motto is Creating Future Leaders.
Admission Requirements at Univen
In South Africa, there are specific Matric exemptions an applicant needs to meet if they wish to study in any university at all and Univen happens to be one. If an applicant completed school after 2008 or in 2008 and has a Senior National Certificate, they will need the below to apply to any South African university for a Bachelor’s Degree program.
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) as certified by the Council for General and Further Education and Training (Umalusi) with an achievement rating of 4 (adequate achievement, 50-59%) or better in four subjects chosen from the recognised 20-credit NSC subjects.
- A minimum point score of 26.
- A grade 12 certificate with a bachelor or matric exemption is required if grade 12 has been achieved.
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) as certified by the Council for General and Further Education and Training (Umalusi).
- An achievement rating of 4 (adequate achievement, 50-59%) or better in four subjects chosen from the recognised 20-credit NSC subjects.
- A minimum point score of 26. A grade 12 certificate with a bachelor or matric exemption is required if grade 12 has been achieved.
- A Minimum admission requirement is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) as certified by Umalusi with an achievement rating of 3 (moderate achievement, 40-49%) or better in four recognised NSC 20-credit subjects.
- The minimum admission requirement is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) as certified by Umalusi.
- Applicants are required to have the right combinations of recognised National Senior Certificate subjects as well as certain levels of achievement in these subjects.
Calculating University of Venda APS
To calculate your APS for Venda;
- Add the percentages of your six subjects
- If there are more than six subjects, exclude Life Orientation
How To Apply To University of Venda
First and foremost, before applying, make sure the below are ready and are added to your application. These documents should be in PDF format when applying for Undergraduate programmes.
- A South African ID or a Passport when applying as an international student
- A Grade 11 final result with a visible school stamp
- Academic record if currently a student of any higher learning institution
- Academic record and a certificate of good conduct if you have studied in a higher learning institution
- A copy of residence or permit or study permit and medical insurance if applying as an international student
- Pro of of payment of application fee
- Valid contact details that are an active email address and a cellphone number
- Visit the university’s website and click on admission for undergraduates and postgraduate students. Follow the prompts to proceed to apply, register and upload all documents. Here is the LINK
- Fill and complete the form with all relevant information
- Pay the application fee once you have received a student’s number from the school
- Upload all supporting documents
- Submit your completed application form
- Note that applications are closed for the 2022 academic year
The University of Venda has one main campus with seven faculties or schools which is on this one main campus.
Here are the faculties;
- Environmental Sciences
- Health Sciences
- Human and Social Sciences
- Management Sciences
- Mathematical and Natural Sciences
Are Having Difficulty with the Application Process?
Direct all your questions to the student’s administration with their respective contact information and email address;
Phone: +27 15 962 8959
Phone: +27 15 962 8953
Phone: +27 15 962 8974
Phone: +2715 962 8882 / +2715 962 8954
Phone: +27 15 962 9347 / +27 15 962 9348
Application Fee at The University of Venda
Applicants are supposed to pay an application fee of R100. They must bear in mind that this fee is non-refundable and does not guarantee admission.
Registration Fee/How To Register at University of Venda
The registration fee for 2022 is between R100 to R300. This fee after it has been paid will not be refunded.
Register To University of Venda
- New applicants can only register if they have received an offer of placement from the university
- Continuing students can register during the registration window after the university has released registration details
University of Venda prospective students are required to register using this link below;
For further registration information, visit Student Administration
Courses Offered at The University of Venda
Here is a list of courses offered under the seven faculties of the university.
School of Education
Department of Curriculum Studies and Education Management
- Advanced Certificate in Education: Educational Management
- Advanced Certificate in Education: School Management and Leadership
- Bachelor of Education Honors in Educational Management
- Bachelor of Education in College Teaching
- Bachelor of Education Honours: Curriculum Studies
Department of Early Childhood Education
- Advanced Certificate in Early Childhood Education
- Advanced Certificate in Remedial Education
- Bachelor of Education Foundation Phase
Department of Maths-Science and Technology Education
- Science Teacher Education Diploma
- Bachelor of Science in Education
Department of Professional Studies
- Diploma in School Library and Information Science
- Bachelor of Education Further Education and Training
Application Dates at The University of Venda
For students in wait to apply to the University of Venda, here is the good news. The application window is expected to be opened from July through to December 2022.
University of Venda Prospectus
- UNIVEN Undergraduate Prospectus 2022 – Download PDF
- UNIVEN Postgraduate Prospectus 2022 – Download PDF
- UNIVEN International Prospectus 2022 – Download PDF