Most people, especially persons looking forward to starting their tertiary education can relate to how tedious the processes can be. Even in the case where you know which higher learning institution you are opting for. This is an article that is promising to make that journey less tedious and run smoother. This will help prospective applicants of the Walters Sisulu University make that needed informed decision.
The Walter Sisulu University commonly known as WSU was birthed on July 1st, 2005 consequence of a merger between three universities namely Border Technikon, Eastern Cape Technikon, and the University of the Transkei. WSU is named after Walter Sisulu, a man who was prominent in the fight against apartheid.
The Walter Sisulu University is a four campuses university located in Mthatha, East London (Buffalo City), Butterworth, and Komani (Queenstown) in the Eastern Cape, South Africa.
As a science and technology university and a public comprehensive university, it is officially recognized by the Department of Higher Education and Training of South Africa. The school focuses on urban renewal and rural development, offering academic and technological qualifications.
WSU is affiliated with the University of South Africa (USA) and ranked at 23 in the country. Globally, it is positioned at 5355.
In 2017, the school enrolled about 24, 120 students which included undergraduates, postgraduates, and international students.
Notable alums include Terrence Nombembe, Nonkululeko Gobodo, Nomgcobo Jiba, plus more. WSU’s chimes a Developmental University.
What Are The Admission Requirements at Walter Sisulu University
- An NC (V) Level 4 statutory requirements
- 40% in either home Language or First Additional
- Language with one Language as of Teaching and Teaching (LOTL)
- 50 % in either Mathematics or Mathematics Literacy
- 40% in Life Orientation
- 50% in the four other vocational subjects
- Submit a record of evidence for any subject failed
- Level 4 statutory requirements
- 50% in three fundamental subjects including LOTL
- 60% in three compulsory vocational subjects
- NC(V) Level 4 statutory requirements
- 60% in three fundamental subjects including LOTL
- 70% in three compulsory vocational subjects
- Matric Certificate
- Post-Matric Certificate
- Identity Document
- Official Academic Report
- Conduct Certificate
For applicants applying as international students, they need to first apply to the Universities of South Africa for the evaluation of their results and degrees or diploma certificates. They are allowed to proceed with the application process once USAF has confirmed their results by uploading the needed documents.
Applicants are advised to get all required and supporting documents ready before starting the application process.
Faculties and Campuses
Unlike many other universities that have all of their faculties on the same campus, it is quite the opposite at the Walters Sisulu university. In all, WSU has eleven faculties and four campuses.
The faculties are spread out on their respective campus. Here is a list of the faculties and how they are brilliantly apportioned.
In all, WSU has eleven faculties and four campuses.
- Buffalo City (East London)
Faculty of Science, Engineering, and Technology
Faculty of Business Sciences
Faculty of Engineering and Technology
Faculty of Business Sciences
Faculty of Education
- Komani (Queenstown)
Faculty of Education and School Development
Faculty of Economics and Information Technology Systems
Faculty of Health Sciences
Faculty of Educational Sciences
Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences and Law
Faculty of Natural Sciences
Faculty of Commerce and Administration
Application Fee at Walter Sisulu University
The management of WSU has disclosed that there will be no payment for the application. It is free as the school accepts online applications only thus for the 2022/2023 academic year.
Process Of Applying To WSU
To apply, you will need;
- An active email address
- An active cellphone number
- All required and supporting documents must be saved as soft copies before apply
- The address of the applicant’s next of kin
- Visit https://ieweb.wsu.ac.za/pls/prodi41/gen.gw1pkg.gw1view
- Fill out and complete the application form
- Submit your application form after uploading all documents
- If for any reason you are unable to submit the form online, print it out and submit it to the address on the form
Courses Offered At WSU
The Walter Sisulu University can boast of about 175 academic programmes all under their 11 faculties. Here is a list of the Postgraduate courses;
Postgraduate Courses Offered:
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Commerce (MCom)
- Master of Medicine in Family Medicine
- MSc in Chemical Pathology
- Master of Nursing
- MSc in Physiological Sciences
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Medicine in Medicine
- Master of Arts
- Master of Laws
- Master of Science in Botany
- Master of Science in Zoology
- Master of Science in Chemistry
- Master of Science in Geography
- Doctor of Education (DEd)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Health Sciences
To view the complete list, click on this LINK.
How To Register/Registration Fee At The Walter Sisulu University
- First-timers are not obligated to pay any registration fee. It is free for them.
To register; you need;
- Email address
- Cell phone number
- Address of next of kin
- Passport ID if an international student
- To view the registration guide, head straight to the school’s website: https://wsu.ac.za/index.php/study-with-us/quick-links/2022-registration-guidelines
The 2023/2024 application dates of the Walter Sisulu University are expected to be opened from April 2022 through to November 2022. Applicants are expected to use this application window to adequately prepare all documents, making sure to apply on time to beat the deadline.
Meanwhile, applicants must note there may be specific deadlines for designated courses or programs.
Walter Sisulu University 2022 Prospectus
2022 Walter Sisulu Prospectus- Download
Checking Your Application Status
To check your application status;
- Visit this link https://www.wsu.ac.za
- The link directs you to the student’s portal
- Key in your ID number and pin
- Submit and wait for the status to be delivered