Have you ever been at your wit ends trying to conclude on which university to settle on to drive you towards your future aspirations? As unconvincing as it sounds, the processes of selection sometimes become more than we bargained for or expected. This article attempts to make this task a lot easier and more exciting by touching on the complicated parts of this journey.
For this article, the dial is on the University of Fort Hare. It tackles the courses offered in UFS, the faculties, application processes, and details— breaking everything down into simpler terms for proper understanding.
The University of Fort Hare is a public research university that was established in 1916. It was established to offer Western-style academic education to students from Sub-Saharan Africa. Today, the university is a part of the Post-apartheid public higher education in South Africa. The University has its main campus located in Alice closer to the Tyhume River. In all, Fort Hare has three campuses. As of 2015, it had a student population of 13,331. In 2011, the school enrolled about 11,074 students.
What Makes Fort Hare Stand Out Among Other University
The University of Fort Hare known popularly as UFH is officially recognized by the Department of Higher Education and Training of South Africa.
UFH is globally ranked 2160 with a presence of 4871. When it comes to Openness, it is at 2611, Impact rank of 2514, and an excellence rank of 2555. Notable amongst UFH’s alums are Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu, Govan Mbeki, Z.K Matthews plus more. With their motto as In thy light, we shall see light, applicants looking to find themselves certainly will do in all their endeavors.
What It Takes To Get Enrolled To Fort Hare (Requirements)
Admission Requirement for Bachelor’s Degree
- A minimum of level 4 in English 1st Additional Language or
- A minimum of level 3 in English Home Language
- A minimum of Level 4 or better in four 20-credit subjects from the designated subjects excluding Life Orientation
Minimum Statutory Entry Requirement
- A pass of National Senior Certificate with an achievement rate of 4 (50-59%) or more in four subjects- Bachelor’s Degree
- A pass of National Senior Certificate with an achievement rate of 3 (40-49%) or more in four subjects- Diploma
UFH AP Score
To calculate the APS, applicants need to add their best six subjects, this excludes Life Orientation. Applicants will only be considered if and only if they meet the AP score.
International students need above 40 points to be considered
Anything below 30 will not be considered
Applicants need to get their AP score before applying for a course at UFH
The school runs from January to December (January – April; April-June; July-September; September-December)
Courses Offered at University Of Fort Hare
UFH has a wide range of programs under all of its six faculties. Below are these faculties with their specific departments and courses. To view, click on the faculty name for redirection and all necessary information.
- Faculty of Management and Commerce- Departments and Courses
- Faculty of Health Sciences- Departments and Courses
- Faculty of Education- Departments and Courses
- Faculty of Sciences and Humanity- Departments and Courses
- Faculty of Science and Agriculture- Departments and Courses
- Nelson Mandela School of Law- Department and Courses
How To Apply To University of Fort Hare
Before applying at the University of Fort Hare, applicants should have;
- Meet all application requirements
- An active email address
- An active cellphone number
- Pay a non-refundable application fee of R1200
- Visit the UFH’s website https://www.ufh.ac.za/apply/
- Scroll down and click on Apply Online; https://ienabler.ufh.ac.za/pls/prodi41/gen.gw1pkg.gw1view
- Upload all documents, including supporting documents
- After a successful application, an SMS will be sent to you
- Applicants with qualifications based on Grade 12 mid-term performance will be provisionally admitted pending submission of final matric results
Admitted students will receive an SMS and admission letter
If for any reason at all an applicant is unable to apply, they should download the filled and completed form, print and send it to the address on the form
UFH Registration Fee
The 2022 registration fee at the University of Fort Hare is estimated between R100 and R300. It should be noted that this fee is non-refundable. Payment of the fee is not a guarantee that your admission is secured. However, it is needed to start the application process.
How To Register at UFH
For first-timers, here is the guide;
- Change personal information
- Get academic and other information
- Make payment
- You need a student’s ID number and a password
Use this link https://ienabler.ufh.ac.za/pls/prodi41/w99pkg.mi_login to log in
UFH Application Dates
Applications for the 2023/2024 academic year have been known. Applications will be opened on April 1st 2023 and close in September that same year. Applicants are expected to use this window to adequately prepare and submit their completed forms early to beat the deadline.
How Can You Transfer From One University to Fort Hare
It is that simple to transfer from an old tertiary institution to the University of Fort Hare. All that an applicant needs to do is to apply at the UFH and meet all the necessary requirements.
University of Fort Hare Prospectus
UFH has made available their 2022 prospectus for viewing, downloading, and printing.
- 2022 UFH Undergraduate Prospectus- Download
- 2022 UFH Postgraduate Prospectus- Download
Faculties in the University of Fort Hare remain six. Listed below are these faculties;
- Science and agriculture
- Social sciences and humanities
- Management and commerce
- Health Sciences