The University of Western Cape known widely as UWC was established by the South African government in 1960. It was to serve the educational needs of people of color. It is located in Belleville, a suburb in the city of Cape Town. This establishment was a result of the Extension of University Education Act, 1959.
The overall student population is 22,000 with Undergraduates holding 15,840 and Postgraduates 16,160.
UWC is affiliated with The Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), The Cape Higher Education Consortium (CHEC), Higher Education South Africa (HESA) and the International Association of Universities (IAU).
The University of Western Cape is internationally recognized. It has been ranked to that effect by the QS World University Ranking and several other Times Higher Education Ranking.UWC came at the 729 positions in the Best Global Universities and 8 in the Top Ten Universities in South Africa.
Notable Alums include Danny Jordaan, Jose Luis Guterres, Jackie Achmat, and more. UWC says Look Ahead.
Admission Requirement at University of Western Cape
To apply for admission at UWC, they should have;
- Valid and active email address
- An identification number or a passport if an international student
They MUST equally make sure to upload all necessary documents which include;
- A copy of your school qualification that is National Senior Certificate or any of equal relevance
- An official Tertiary Academic Records if applicable. Note that internet copies will not be accepted
- A marriage certificate or divorce decree if applicable
- Sworn translations if documents are neither in English nor Afrikaans
All applicants with hopes of studying at the University of Western Cape must meet the below criteria to have them a chance.
- National Senior Certificate that is required for a degree, Diploma or Higher Certificate Study
- Seven subjects that consist of four compulsory subjects and the three subjects of the applicant’s choice
General Admission Requirement
National Senior Certificate with a minimum pass of 30% in the language of teaching and learning of the higher education institution which needs to be certified by a Umalusi in addition to an achievement rate of 3 ( moderate achievement 40-49%) or even better in the four recognized NSC 20-credits subjects.
It must be noted that applicants who will wish to be admitted to degree programmes should have a minimum point of 27 while applicants who wish to be admitted to diploma studies should have a minimum point of 23.
The University of Western Cape has seven faculties under which are many other programmes and courses. Here is a list;
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities
- Faculty of Community Health Sciences
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Natural Sciences
How To Apply To The University of Western Cape
UWC is open to all and sundry to apply provided the applicant meets all the criteria. Before an applicant starts their application process, they should make sure they have;
- An active email address
- A South African identification number
- Passport details if you are an international student
How To Apply
- Log in to https://www.uwc.ac.za/
- An attachment of proof of payment of registration fee which is compulsory for all South African and International students
- Final results of Grade 12 if it is available and Grade 11 results if you are currently doing Grade 12
- All other relevant documents are required per your qualification and chosen programme.
- If for any reason at all you are not able to apply online, you may download your completed form and send it to the address on the right hand of the form
Courses Offered at The University of Western Cape
UWC offers a wide range of courses under each of its seven faculties. Regardless of the level of your qualification, there is a course that will suit your educational needs. There are;
- Undergraduate Courses
- Postgraduate Courses
- PhD Courses
- Postgraduate Diploma Courses
- For further reading about the courses, kindly click on here; https://applicationstatus20.co.za/university-of-the-western-cape-uwc-courses-offered/
University of Western Cape Application Fee
The University of Western Cape has made it clear that there is there no application fee. All applications are expected to be completed online except for in rare circumstances where one is unable to complete the online process.
All applications are to be submitted with the required supporting documents. It must be noted that late applications will not be accepted or considered.
Also, note that emailed documents will not be accepted. All applications must be sent in before the due date.
University of Western Cape Registration- How To Register
To register online;
- Log on to the student portal student.uwc.ac.za
- Log in with your student number and ID/passport number
- Upload your certified South African identification document or passport for matriculants only
- PhD and Masters – Monday, January 10th 2022 – 11 February 2022. Click here to download the Postgraduate Student Guide.
- Undergraduate (returning) and Honours and PG diploma/certificate – Monday, January 24th 2022 – Friday, 11 February 2022. Click here to download Student Guide.
- New undergraduate students – Monday, January 24th 2022 – Friday, 11 February 2022. Click here to download Student Guide.
- The first-year students can click on this LINK for the registration and orientation guide
- Once registration has been completed, your proof of registration and timetable will be emailed to you.
For further instructions visit https://n2r6x9i3.stackpathcdn.com/files/images/Document-Download.jpg
A registration fee for 2022 is estimated between R1,000 to R5,000. Students are expected to pay this non-refundable fee before applying to the UWC.
Paying this fee does not guarantee admission but non-payment will not process your admission either. The registration fee can be paid via cash, credit card, direct bank deposit or electronic funds transfer or paid to the cashier at the Kramer Building, Middle Campus, UWC.
UWC has disclosed the application dates for the 2023 academic year. Here is the respective opening and closing dates.
- Undergraduate qualifications: April- 30 November 2022
- For Honors degrees & postgraduate diplomas: 1 September – 15 December 2022
- For applicants with Master’s & doctoral qualifications: 15 September – 6 November 2022
- Short Learning Programmes: Applications for 2023 registrations of UWC’s Short Learning Programmes (SLPs) are anticipated to be open from 13 September 2022 until 28 February 2023.
The University of Western Cape has made available the prospectus for viewing, downloading, and printing.
- Undergraduate Prospectus- Download