With four suburban and two urban campuses, the University of Cape Town abbreviated as UCT remains one of the top notched universities in South Africa. It came at number 226 in QS Global World Rankings this 2022 with graduate employability at number 95.
Formerly South African College, UCT, a public research university has been operating effectively and efficiently for the past 192 years. The university has an academic staff of 1,208, administrative of 3,179 with 17, 217 undergraduates and 10, 511 postgraduates.
Notable amongst their alums are Mamphele Ramphele, Christiaan Barnard, J.M Coetzee plus more.
UCT prides itself in tradition and academic excellence and by hallmarking these and more, it has gained its credibility and recognition, rated as one of the top universities in Africa.
At UCT, eligibility of admission differs depending on the outlined program a student opts for.
GPA requirement is a 3.0
Below is the list of requirements per the chosen program.
Undergraduate Diploma Study
- National Senior Certificate (NSC), certified by Umalusi with ratings at 3 (Moderate Achievement, 40-49%) or better in 4 recognized NSC 20-credit subjects.
Bachelor’s Degree Study
- Applicants with a South African National Senior Certificate should pass 4 subjects at a rating of 4 (Adequate Achievement, 50-59%) or better in any four 20-credit NSC subjects.
- Applicants should have a Matriculation endorsement
- Applicants without South African School-Leaving Certificate should qualify for a Matriculation exemption certificate.
Minimum Language Proficiency
- Applicants must be proficient in English and present prove of that.
- South African Senior Certificate Holders must pass 40% or more on the Higher Grade in English (First or Second Language) at Senior Certificate level.
- South African National Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants must have 2 ratings (Elementary Achievement, 30-40%) or better at Home Language or First Additional Language level.
- Applicants without non-South African School-Leaving certificates should click on this link for further directives.
How to Apply for Admission at UCT (Online)
- Visit https://publicaccess.uct.ac.za/
- Follow the prompts to apply.
- Make sure you have an active email address and a South African identity number or a passport if you are an international applicant.
- Complete forms can be downloaded and sent to this email if unable to directly apply on the portal.
Completed forms with the subject line “2022 UCT Application form” should be manually posted to this address
University of Cape Town
c/o Bremner Building Lower Campus
Cost of Application Forms
- Undergraduate and postgraduate applications from South Africa and the Southern African Development Community = R100.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate applications from outside the SADC region = R300
- Graduate School of Business (GSB) applications from South Africa and African citizens/residents = R1 750
- GSB applications from outside of Africa = USD 300
- Application fee is not refundable
- Paying the fee does not guarantee a successful application
- Application fee should be paid in cash, credit card or direct bank deposit or electronic funds transfer
The registration fee for the 2022 academic year is between R100 to R300. Dates for registration have been slated from March 1st through to July 15th.
It is relevant to note that, the university charges nothing for registration. In the literal sense, registration is free. However, students are required to make a down payment during registration. This amount will be rolled over to schools fees and accommodation should the student opt for the latter.
If a student is on financial aid, they are not expected to make any of this initial payment.
Applications were opened from May 1st, 2021 through to 31st August 2021 for 2022 admissions. The university has made it clear they do not consider late applications.
Application dates for the 2023/2024 Academic year have been opened and from May 2022 to August 2022. This gives interested persons ample time to gather all the materials required for the application processes.
- Engineering & the Built Environment,
- Health Sciences,
The university’s prospectus can be downloaded via any of these links;
- University of Cape Town Undergraduate Prospectus 2023 – PDF
- Enquiries by clicking on this LINK
- The University’s website
What is the Acceptance Rate at UCT?
As one of the top-tier and worldly recognized universities, it is not entirely easy to get admission to UCT. In fact, the odds are still one out of 22. It is then advisable for interested persons to prepare adequately to meet the required target of the university.
Can You Study At UCT Without Matric?
If one has an endorsed Bachelor’s Degree study, they do not need a matriculation certificate or certificate of exemption.
However, students are required to register in any one of the six faculties in the university.
Calculating Admission Point Score
This score is calculated with the number accumulated from the National Senior Certificate which will be allocated with its right percentage to the admission score.
Hence the sum of all six subjects with the exception of life orientation including English and any other required subject is considered in the course of the admission process.
Check Your Application Status
After submitting your completed application form, you can still track how far the process has gone by checking your application status.
To check your application status, log in using the details you keyed in during the initial application process that is your student’s ID and password.
Note that, under no circumstance must you share your password or student identification number with anyone and never leave your PC on and unattended to while you are logged in.
Fortunately, there is a slot on the application forms that allow students to indicate whether they are interested in the accommodation the university offers.
As it stands, UCT is offering three whole tiers of accommodation for on and off-campus students, undergraduates, and postgraduate students.
It is required of a student interested in this offer to fill out a form for student housing. A student will only be considered if and only if they had filled and submitted this form.