This article is to keep prospective applicants and all who wish to join the University of Zululand abreast with the latest in and outs of the university, delving into requirements, dates, and processes to keep these students sane enough to make an informed decision.
Unizulu as it is affectionately called is a comprehensive tertiary institution located at the north of the Tugela River in Kwazulu Natal which makes it the only one in that region.
As part of its new status which aligns with South Africa’s National Plan for Higher Education geared towards eradicating inequity and costly duplication, the university offers career-oriented programmes and just a handful of paramount university degree courses that are structured in a way that targets potential employees and employers.
On the other hand, the university has an extended link outside the shores of South Africa specifically in the United States of America and Europe and thus has established partnerships with the University of Mississippi, Radford University, Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, and Chicago State University.
Unizulu thrives on promoting scholarly investigations as a response to social problems, hence the need for the school to integrate community service into the formal curriculum.
As of 2019, the student population at Unizulu was at 17, 713. Currently, it has moved to 18,000 with 737 administrative staff with one Satellite campus in Richards Bay offering certificate and diploma programmes.
Unizulu Rankings and Academic Affiliations
As a public university hallmarking ‘By Diligence, I Grow’ as their motto, the school aimed at producing graduates who are highly knowledgeable and skilled, groomed and nurtured for citizenship and active societal participation.
It is no wonder that Unizulu is ranked at 22nd position in South Africa and 5241 globally. Unizulu is academically affiliated with AAU, ACU, and HESA.
Notable alums include Ray Zondo, Mogoeng Mogoeng, Graeme Codrington, Sisi Khampepe et al.
As a comprehensive university, Unizulu has about 252 accredited degrees, diploma and certificate courses offered across its four faculties. Here is a list of the faculties in Unizulu.
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Commerce, Administration and Law
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering
Necessary Documents/Admission Requirements Needed to Apply for Unizulu
Minimum Admission Requirement
- A National Senior Certificate with a 30% pass with the language of learning and teaching of the higher education institution as certified by the Council for General and Further Education and Training
- Final Grade 9 results or a certified equivalent qualification
- For a Higher Certificate, the APS must be 15
- For Diploma a minimum APS of 18
- For Bachelor Degree, a minimum APS of 21
To complete the application, all applicants are required to upload specific documents which include the following;
- A copy of school qualification such as the National Senior Certificate
- If applicable, an official copy of tertiary academic records, noting that internet copies will not be accepted
- A copy of your identification card if applying as a South African citizen and a passport if applying as an international student
- If applicable, a copy of the marriage certificate or a divorce decree
How To Calculate Unizulu APS
APS means Admission Points Score, a score which is used in many South African universities to ascertain if an applicant is qualified to study a particular programme. The minimum points required for admission at Unizulu is 26%.
To calculate the APS, an applicant needs to add his or her best six subjects percentages which exclude Life Orientation. The points that are gotten from each Matric subject which is what will be added to get your APS. This means that your APS is solely dependent on your percentage scores in your Matric subjects.
Applicants need to meet the minimum APS to be considered for admission which may not always be enough for their chosen program.
Application Process/How To Apply Online
Before applying to Unizulu, applicants need;
- An active email address
- An ID number for South African applicants and a Passport for International Students
- Payment of application
- Registered for NBTs
- Check faculties and their specific requirements
- Note, Postgraduates applicants will only be able to online
How To Apply;
- Visit the Unizulu’s website at: http://www.unizulu.ac.za/student-zone/apply/
- The link directs you to choose what you what to do- Click on the application form to start the process
- Fill and complete all blank spaces with the required information
- Upload required and all supporting documents
- Submit your application
Unizulu Late Application
Unizulu’s management has released the opening and closing dates for late applications for Postgraduates and Undergraduates. Applications for Undergraduates end in July while it ends in October for Postgraduates.
- Unizulu 2022 Late Application- Click on this LINK
2022 Application Fee at Unizulu
All applicants are supposed to pay an amount when they apply to Unizulu. For South African students, a fee of R220 is to be sent with the application forms whereas International students ought to pay R275.
Unizulu Application Dates
The management of the University of Zululand has released the application dates for the 2023/2024 academic years.
It is anticipated to be opened in April 2022 and run through to October 2022. Prospective applicants are advised to use this window to prepare their documents to enable them to beat application deadlines.
The Admission rate at Unizulu is between 40-50%.
Registration Fee at Unizulu
The 2022 registration fee at Unizulu is between R3000 and R4000. It must be noted that is fee is non-refundable and paying it does not mean you are guaranteed admission.
Registration is for;
- First-timers Unizulu applicants
- Students jumping on a new qualification or specialization
- Applicants who were offered admission and failed to register previously
- Students who are yet to complete a higher certificate or any other programme and want to pursue further undergraduate studies
To Register, you need;
- An active email address
- South African ID number
- A passport if an international student
- Simply visit http://reg.unizulu.ac.za/ to register and for all registration guidelines
Unizulu has made available the prospectus for downloading, printing and viewing.