Most often than not, deciding on a university to attend becomes quite a tedious task. This is not because there are no universities around. The truth is, the decision and selection processes become so much for applicants because there are 1001 universities all over.
How then do you decide which one to settle on, which one will better serve your future career needs and which one will be that vehicle of change for you, especially in a case where information out there can be scanty.
This writeup is here to serve the needs of prospective applicants with their selection of schools providing accurate information on everything there is to know about the school, especially those seeking to apply in the next academic year.
The University of Johannesburg, UJ as it is widely known came alive on January 1st 2005 consequence of the merging of the two is the Rand Afrikaans University (RAU) and the Technikon Witwatersrand University (TWU).
The university which is a public university is located in Johannesburg in South Africa. According to credible sources, UJ is one of the largest comprehensive contact universities in the country amongst the 26 other public universities that make up the higher education system.
UJ is ranked at the 434 positions globally maintaining its status quo amongst the top 500 universities in the world. The university is internationally recognized and can boast of intensive academic programmes stringed on an informed curriculum that prepares both postgraduates and undergraduates for the world outside its gate. UJ is South Africa’s second strongest brand, a four-campus university with a student population of 50,000 of which approximately 3000 are international students from about 80 countries.
Notable amongst its alums are Jaco Kriel, Sheeren Sapiro, Adel Weir, Jano Vermaak plus more. UJ’s motto is service through knowledge.
Admission Requirements at UJ
To stand a chance to be a student at the University of Johannesburg, all applicants need to meet specified criteria. It must be noted that the admission requirement differs depending on the programme an applicant opts to study.
For an applicant to apply to UJ, for either certificate courses, Diploma, Postgraduate, or undergraduate programmes, they must have the following;
- A copy of your school qualifications (eg Senior Certificate)
- A copy of your official tertiary academic record(s) if applicable. Note that internet copies will not be accepted.
- A copy of your ID document if you are a South African national or ID/passport if you are an international student
- A copy of your marriage certificate if applicable or divorce decree also if applicable
- Sworn translations of documents if they are not in English or Afrikaans
The minimum requirement is a National Senior Certificate which has been certified by the Umalusi with an achievement rating of 3 ( moderate achievement 40%-49) or better in any four recognized NSC 20-credit subjects.
For Undergraduate certificate study, applicants are advised to consult the admissions office or the faculty concerned.
What is Needed for UJ Application
Before prospective students attempt to apply to the University of Johannesburg, there are some basic things they need to have before making this bold move. Listed below are those things;
- Be certain you meet the admission requirements of UJ bearing in mind that specific programmes may demand specific requirements
- Again, be certain you know what you are applying for. Faculties, Courses, Programmes before you apply.
- Accurate and valid contact details that are email address and cellphone number
- South African ID number and a passport if you are applying as an international student
- You need to have paid your application fee
- If you need accommodation, you need to make it known
How To Apply To The University Of Johannesburg
The application processes may be a tad challenging especially if you are a newbie. This is a guide to make the process a lot easier for you.
- Visit the University’s website and click on admission, followed by applying for admission to choose whether you are applying as an undergraduate or a postgraduate or others. Here is a link; https://www.uj.ac.za/admission-aid/postgraduate/international-applicants/ ADVERTISEMENT
- The link above directs you to the online application which asks you to fill out the form. Key in all necessary and required information with accuracy. This stage is the registration stage and for first-timers, they have to create an account that will enable them to log into the student’s portal. What will be required your name, email address, password, the chosen programme and your qualification mode
- At this stage, you upload all other supporting documents required.
- Payment of application fee should be if and only if the university sends you a student number. The application will only be processed once the application fee has been received.
- Visit this link for bank details: https://www.uj.ac.za/
- Submit your completed form
Application Fee at The University of Johannesburg
UJ has made a revelation that all applicants who apply to the university by using the online platform are exempted from paying the application fee. Meanwhile, applicants who use the hardcopy system will be required an application fee of R200 which is non-refundable.
How To Register/Registration Fee At UJ
The registration fee at the University of Johannesburg is between R100 and R300. Students are required to pay this registration fee before proceeding to apply to the university.
- Currently, registration is closed for new undergraduates students
- Undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students that are continuing students end registration on 16th February 2021
- Doctoral and full research masters have between now to 31st March 2022 to register, subject to availability of space
How To Register
- Log on to https://ulink.uj.ac.za/Default
- Click on Registration to commence the process
- Read carefully and fill in the needed details
- Click on registration verification
- Click on submit payment- no debit card payment is accepted
- Submit registration, save and continue
- Print your proof of registration
- Here is a link for further instructions: https://www.uj.ac.za/admission-aid/registration
The University of Johannesburg has revealed dates for admissions for all interested to study in the school to apply. UJ is open for late application which starts from 23 February 2022. UJ has made it clear that applicants can only apply when the dates are due and not before those dates.
Opening Date of Application for 2023/2024- April 1st 2022
Closing Date of Application for 2023/2024- October 30th 2022
UJ will not accept applications after the deadline.
Faculties at University Of Johannesburg
UJ has eight faculties which have been listed below;
- Economic and Financial Sciences
- Science, Engineering and the Built Environment
- Art, Design and Architecture
- Health Sciences
Courses Offered at The University of Johannesburg
- Initial Teacher Education Programmes / Undergraduate
- Online Programmes: Advanced Diploma in School Leadership and Management
- Online Programmes: Master of Education in Information and Communication Technology
- Online Programmes: Master of Education in Educational Management
- Online Programmes: Bachelor of Education Honours in Education Leadership and Management
UJ has released a prospectus for view, printing and downloading.