The Sol Plaatje University which was formally called the University of the Northern Cape is located in Kimberly in South Africa and was established in 2014. It is a non-profit higher education institution named after Solomon Tshekisho Plaatje, a South African journalist and intellectual, politician, translator, and writer. The Sol Plaatje municipality thus was named after him which includes Kimberly and also the Sol Plaatje University.
The university started with a student population of 135 students with a hopeful increase in the number up to 7500 students by 2024. The current student enrolment is between 1000 to 1999 with an academic staff between 100-199. SPU offers admission to both South African locals and international students supposing they meet all requirements.
Although it is a young university, it focuses on innovation and excellence. SPU is accredited to the Department of Higher Education and Training in South Africa. It is ranked at the 25th position in South Africa and 8358 position globally.
Admission Requirement at Sol Plaatje University
The requirements at the Sol Plaatje University are based on the final results of what the applicants may have achieved in the South African National Senior Certificate Examination. Applicants must note that meeting requirements are no sure guarantee that an applicant has gained admission. Your application depends on how better your academic performance is.
Minimum Entry Requirements are;
- An NSC pass with a Bachelor’s Degree requirement
- English LOLT or HL: NSC Level 4; or English 1st language: NSC Level 5.
- Mathematics NSC level 4 where Mathematical literacy is not part
- Physical Sciences- NSC level 4
- Life Sciences- NSC Level 4
- APS minimum of 30 points
Documents Needed To Apply at The Sol Plaatje University
Before an applicant decides to apply to SPU, there are documents they need to have right on hand before they start the application process. These documents usually include;
- A copy of the applicant’s school qualification such as the Senior Certificate or any other of equal relevance
- A copy of the applicant’s tertiary academic records if applicable. Applicants must note internet copies will not be accepted
- A copy of your South African identification number and a passport number if an international applicant
- A copy of your marriage certificate or a divorce decree if applicable
- A sworn translated copy of documents if they are not in English
Points Needed at the Sol Plaatje University
The minimum admission score needed for admission at Sol Plaatje University is 30. However, subjects requirements have been set for every programme applicants are willing to offer.
To calculate, add up matric subjects points according to the SPU’s APS table, noting that the point you get for each course is dependent on the percentage score in that particular subject.
Applicants should note SPU accepts only six subjects for APS and if subjects are more than six subjects, they may exclude Life Orientation.
The Sol Plaatje University in all has four faculties, otherwise known as schools that offer courses in a myriad of qualifications. Below are the faculties;
- Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Natural and Applied Sciences
Courses Available At Sol Plaatje University
Under all the four faculties at Sol Plaatje University are suitable programmes. Under Economic and Management Sciences, here are some courses;
Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- Diploma in Retail Business Management
- Advanced Diploma in Management
- Bachelor of Commerce (Generic)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Public Management
- Postgraduate Diploma in Entrepreneurship
- Applicants should note that SPU offers a higher certificate in heritage studies
For a list of all the courses, visit this link to download or view Courses Prospectus.
Application Fee at the Sol Plaatje University
The management at Sol Plaatje University has made it clear that there is no payment of the application fee. It is free to apply online. An applicant needs an email address and internet connectivity for starters to apply.
Applying To Sol Plaatje University- Online Process
To apply online, applicants need to have the following;
- An active email address
- Are you applying as a South African national? Then you will need an SA ID card
- Applying as an international student? You will need a passport
- You need to have registered for NBTs before applying
- There is no application fee
- If you need accommodation, specify it
- Make sure you have checked with faculties to know their requirements
- Also, note that postgraduates applicants will only be able to apply online
Applicants Applying as International Students need;
- A valid study visa
- South African Medical aid cover
- English proficiency
- To apply, kindly visit SPU’s student portal at: https://ienabler.spu.ac.za/pls/prodi41/w99pkg.mi_login?numtype=S
- Fill in all the blanks with the required information
- Upload all documents, including supporting documents
- Submit your completed application
Registration fee at the Sol Plaatje University
All applicants are expected to pay an amount of R5,000 as the registration fee. This fee needs to be paid before registration with proof during the registration process. Applicants must note that this fee is not refundable and payment does not guarantee admission. However, it is needed to be paid for the application to be considered.
How To Register at the Sol Plaatje University
To register online, you need;
- A certified copy of your ID (two copies)
- An original and two certified copies of your matric certificate
- To register, visit the SPU’s student portal at: https://ienabler.spu.ac.za/pls/prodi41/w99pkg.mi_login?numtype=S
Application Dates at the Sol Plaatje University
SPU has disclosed the application dates for the 2023/2024 academic year. Applications are expected to be opened from April 2022 through to November 2022.
Prospective applicants are expected to use this application window to prepare towards the day, making sure they have all documents ready so they can beat application deadlines.
SPU’s 2022 Prospectus
Sol Plaatje University has made available the prospectus for viewing, downloading, and printing.
- 2022 SPU Prospectus- PDF Download