Ambivalence is great! Especially when you are making a lifetime decision like choosing a great university which in every sense of the word will be a tool to shaping your life in a way you love and desire.
It is quite a tough decision and the University of Witwatersrand makes that decision less of a tedious task. Situated in the northern areas of Central Johannesburg, WITS as it has come to be popularly called offers an array of undergraduate and postgraduate programs and degrees that are recognized in the global world.
Just three years ago, Wits came second at the US News Best Global University in the whole of Africa and claimed the 194 slots globally in the 2020 Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
Wits have a student population of about 39,953 including students from all nationals and socio-economic backgrounds. With a 24.3% acceptance rate and alums like Nelson Mandela, Sydney Brenner, Nadine Gordimer, and a host of others, famous and not in their corner, there is little to no reason not to consider this multi-campus public research university.
Admission requirements have been released by Wits to all students with the interest and zeal for applying in the 2022/2023 academic year. Requirements may differ from one program to the next.
The Minimum Requirements however are;
- For National Senior Certificate holders, admission to the Civil and Environmental engineering undergraduate program is 36 points.
- Non holders of National Senior Certificate should have a minimum of 60% at the Higher Grade obtained for Mathematics, Physical Science and English.
Entry into the NVC at NQF Level 2 requires applicants to;
- An annual result for grades 9, 10, 11, or 12
- Or an NQF (National Qualification Framework) level 1qualification
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) assessment to meet the basic requirements for access to NQF Level 2.
- Or An approved bridging program designed for the specific purpose of accessing NQF Level 2
Applicants applying for the first time must make sure to upload all necessary documents before starting the application process. These documents include;
- Copy of your school qualifications (e.g. Senior Certificate)
- Copy of your official tertiary academic record(s) (if applicable) (internet copies will not be accepted)
- Copy of your ID document (RSA students) or ID / passport (international students)
- Copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable) or divorce decree (if applicable)
- Sworn translations of documents if they are not in English or Afrikaans
Applicants should NOTE that completing these and submitting them does not guarantee admission.
How to Apply For Admission (Online/Offline)
To apply for admission at Wits, there are basic things any prospect should have up and running and that includes;
- An active email address which you constantly check
- A South African Identification card
- Your passport number if you are an international student
- Log on to https://www.wits.ac.za/
- Upload the proof of payment for registration fee which is a requirement for South African and international students.
- A certified copy of your ID if you are South African and a passport number of apply as an international student. Application will not be processed without these.
- Examination results that is the final grade 12 results if they are handy and Grade 11 results if you are yet to complete grade 12.
New Applications must include;
- Certified copy of latest school report/statement of results/Grade 12 or N3 certificate.
- Six certified copies of the ID of the applicant.
- Two certified copies of ID of Parent/Guardian
- One ID size photo of Learner
Subsequent to the submission of the application form waiting to hear the good news from Wits as to whether you have been accepted or not. If you received an SMS, it only means you have been accepted so Congratulations.
- Confirmations are announced in January via SMS shortly before the results are made public. Acceptance should either be made via SMS or the self portal. It must be noted that no emails or telephone calls will be made to applicants to divulge information of their acceptance hence any of such should be treated with as much contempt as possible.
- It is possible that you are on a waiting list or a deferred course. Applicants are advised to wait for final confirmation from the university.
Click on to access the self portal and also to find out your status: https://self-service.wits.ac.za/psp/csprod/UW_SELF_SERVICE/HRMS/?&cmd=login&languageCd=ENG&
- Confirmed students are mandated to make a first fee payment at R9340. This should be made four days prior to registration in order for it to be processed before registration. Students who fail to adhere to this will not be registered.
- If any admitted student for one reason or the next are required to apply for a postponement to make full payment of the year by the end of May. Postponement application can be made on the self-help portal.
- Postponement is only acceptable if one has been accepted and offered a place in a program.
Closing Dates for Registration are scheduled as follows
- Registration for undergraduates will close at September ending 2022 while postgraduate’s application will close at November 13th 2022.
- Returning and new students- 9th to 26th June.
- New students for undersubscribed qualifications in CAES & CSET- 9th June through to August 5th 2022.
- Awaiting students- June 9th to August 5th 2022.
For Information on Fees and Terms of Payment, visit;
- Student fees and Financial Aid and Scholarship Administration
- Or call these numbers Fees Office Tel: 011 717 1531 or 011 717 1888
- Click on this Link for the list of term dates and important activities on campus
Faculties and Courses Offered at Wits
Wits can boast of five faculties consisting of 33 schools that offer 3416 at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. At Wits, there is a wide array of options, and applicants are spoilt with choice.
- Faculty of Law, Commerce and Management
- Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment
- Faculty of Health Science
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Science
Arguably, it is a herculean task to decide on the course or program one wishes to offer even when the person very much knows what they want. Wits offer a counseling session. These are for interested applicants finding it hard to narrow down choices to finally settle on a particular program. They serve as a map to walk you through the right and best pick which will eventually lead you to your desired career path.
- Undergraduate Prospectus 2022/2023 – Download PDF
- Postgraduate Prospectus 2022/2023 – Download PDF
Application for Wits’ 2023/2024 Academic Year
Wits have announced the opening date for the 2022 academic year and it is slated for February through to September 2022. Late applications will not be accepted.