What is Funza Lushaka Bursary
In the quest for the South African government to get students pursuing teaching as a profession in their own way, they introduced Funza Lushaka Bursary just to help and boost students to pursue teaching as a profession.
As we know, education is one major key element that helps in nation-building and you cannot have an education sector with teachers.
Funza Lushaka Bursary has helped many students to successfully finish a certain subject priority area. Persons who benefit from these bursaries are required to teach at public schools for the same number of years they benefited from the bursary.
Who is Eligible to Apply for Funza Lushaka Bursary?
Unfortunately or otherwise, not everyone is eligible to apply for the Funza Lushaka Bursary. It is limited to a categorized group of people. The FLB is available for academically talented and gifted students who are;
- Learners currently in Grade 12
- Level headed graduates who are below the age of 30 willing to complete a teaching qualification or enroll for PGCE
- Persons who are below the age of 30 with the zeal to make a career change to become teachers
- People are unemployed and are below 30 with a passion and drive to become teachers
Does Funka Lushaka Bursary Have An Age Limit?
When applying for the Funka Lushaka Bursary, you are required to enter your right details and credentials which include your exact date of birth because the FLB has an age limit. When you are applying for the first time, there is a need for you to be younger than 30 years old.
What It Takes Before Apply For Funza Lushaka Bursary (Requirement)
To apply for the FLB, applicants need to meet specific criteria to be considered for the programme. Listed below are the requirements needed to apply for the Bursary.
- The applicant needs to be a South African National
- Applicants must have a South African Identification card
- Applicants must be 30 years old or younger if they are applying for the first time
- Applicants must have agreed to study a Bed degree or PGCE programme with a specialization in at least two of the priority subject areas where extended programmes are not covered
- Applicants must have agreed to study at a recognized tertiary institution in South Africa
- Applicants must have a strong academic record
- Applicants must be willing to teach at any school that will be selected by the Provincial Education Department
- Applicants must not be a Higher Education Institution Employee or a spouse, dependent or a child of a Higher Education Institution Employee
- Applicants must be passionate and committed about teaching as a career which includes an undeniable interest in working and relating with the youth with a willingness to tackle challenges that may come with integrity
- Applicants must not have any other teaching qualifications
- Applicants must not have any criminal records
- Applicants must not have any record of misconduct at their workplaces
Criteria For First Time University Applicants
- Must have achieved a Matric exemption, endorsement or a Bachelor’s Degree admission
- Must have achieved a minimum of Level 4 in Matric for 2 subjects or has intentions to pursue teaching
- Students specializing in the foundation phase must achieve a minimum of level 2 pass for Mathematics or level 4 pass in Mathematical literacy in the Matric exams and a level 4 minimum pass in your home language
- Students specializing in the intermediate phase must achieve a minimum of level 2 pass for Mathematics or level 4 pass in Mathematical literacy in the Matric exams and a level 4 minimum pass in your home language
- Students specializing in teaching technology subjects which includes CAT and did not pass these matric subjects must achieve a minimum level 4 for Mathematics or Technical Mathematics in the Matric exams
Criteria For New Students Currently At The University
- Applicants must pass all subjects in the past year of their tertiary education
- Applicants must achieve a minimum overall average of 55% for all the subjects they studied in the last year in tertiary
- Applicants must achieve a minimum overall average of 66.5% for all subjects that relates to the teaching area of specialization in the last year of their tertiary study
Criteria For Students Enrolling For PGCE
- Applicants must have completed qualifications that allow them admission into the PGCE programme
- Applicants must be studying towards the PGCE for Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching (SPFET) (Grade 7 to Grade 12)
- Applicants must have two priority subjects with one module completed at third year level and the other completed at the second-year level
- Applicants must be equipped with sufficient modules in the priority subjects to be qualified to teach them as subjects in a school
What Programmes Will Be Funded
- Bachelor of Education (BEd)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) in Senior Phase and FET teaching
Steps To Apply For Funza Lushaka Bursary
- Visit https://www.eservices.gov.za/
- Proceed to register an account by completing blanks with required personal details
- Login with your chosen username and password
- Select Funza Lushaka Bursary on the e-service menu
- Key in the OTP you received
- Read the terms and conditions and proceed to accept if you are okay with everything
- Click on the 2022 application on the dashboard
- Complete the form with needed information
- Read carefully and confirm the information you have keyed in
- Note that all applications are done online and no hard copies will be accepted
Application Dates for Funza Lushaka Bursary
Applications for FLB are typically opened in October every year and close in February in the next year. Applicants must note that NO late application will be considered.
What Does The Bursary Cover?
The Funza Lushaka Bursary is made in a way to cover the basic living expenses like meals, books, and learning materials and possibly a little something as monthly living expenses. Currently, the monthly allowance is R600.
Students who have received another bursary or are on other bursaries cannot receive Funza in addition to what they are already on.
A student is allowed to receive fewer funds per annum than the figure that would have been originally been given to him or her.
The Funza Lushaka Bursary is renewable. Applicants must re-apply annually before the end of November.
How To Track Funza Lushaka Application Status
Tracking of Funza Lushaka application is necessary as it helps to identify if your bursary request was granted or denied. Below are steps to help check your Funza Lushaka application status
- Kindly visit eservice website https://www.eservices.gov.za/
- fill in the requested information, that is the Username and password
- Click on login
- Check your status.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL APPLICANTS