This article is to serve a single purpose and that is to give prospective applicants a piece of in-depth information about the Central University of Technology.
As known and expected, choosing a university could be tiresome. What makes it easier and smooth is when there is available information that streams across the desired tertiary school.
Hopefully, this article will do exactly that— make sure to bring to bear the nitty-gritty of the Central University of Technology and all it takes to become a part of this higher institution.
Central University of Technology- Background
The Central University of Technology popularly known as the CUT is a public university that was established in 1981. The university is said to be the heartland of South Africa located in Bloemfontein. CUT has two campuses that offer educational opportunities in several technological fields.
The Central University of Technology is an internationally acclaimed institution with a student’s population of 21,817 with over 800 academic staff, making it the largest university in the Western Cape province.
CUT is globally ranked at 3890 with a Presence of 7668, Impact at 8279, Openness at 3509 and excellence at 3766.
Notable amongst CUT alums are Cris Dry, Jasper Wiese, Seabelo Senatla plus more. CUT’s motto is Thinking Beyond.
Who Qualifies To Enrol To CUT/Requirements
To be considered for admission at the Central University of Technology, prospective applicants need to pass the minimum entry requirements and also course requirements.
Applicants are advised to make sure they have met all of these before they proceed to apply.
For Degree Study, applicants must;
- South African applicants should have a National Senior Certificate (NSC) and need to pass four subjects rated at 4 thus the adequate achievement of 50%-59% or even better from the designated list of subjects.
At CUT, the requirements may differ from one course or programme to the next depending on what an applicant chooses to study. Listed below are the certificate courses and their respective requirements.
Undergraduate Certificate Study
For requirements or eligibility, applicants should consult the university’s admission office or the chosen faculty under discussion.
Undergraduate Diploma Study
- The minimum requirement is a National Senior Certificate certified by Umalusi with an achievement rating of 3 moderate achievements of 40%-49% or even better in 4 recognized NSC 20- credits subjects.
Bachelor’s Degree Study
- South African applicants holding a National Senior Certificate should have a minimum pass of four subjects at a rating of 4 which is an adequate achievement of 50-59% or better from the designated list of subjects.
- South African applicants with Senior Certificate need a matriculation endorsement
- Applicants with no South African school-leaving certificates must opt for a matriculation exemption certificate
What Scoring Point Does One Need at CUT?
For an applicant to be considered for admission at the Central University of Technology, applicants should have a score of at least 27 or more points on the CUT scoring scale.
Calculating Your APS at CUT
To calculate the APS, an applicant needs to add their matric subject point per the APS table and that has no bearings on your achievement level in Life Orientation which has 1 point in the CUT APS calculation.
What It Takes To Apply Online To CUT
Before an applicant decides to apply to the Central University of Technology, there is a need to have some basic things. Check them out below;
- An active and working email
- A South African Identity number if applying as a South African
- A passport if applying as an International student
How To Apply Online
- Visit https://www.cut.ac.za/application-process
- Upload proof of payment of the registration fee which is compulsory for South African applicants and International students
- Final Grade 12 results if available and Grade 11 result ready if still writing Grade 12. Applicants should note this is essential to their application
Faculties at The Central University of Technology
In all, the Central University of Technology has four faculties offering a wide range of educational qualifications to students.
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences
- Faculty of Engineering, Built Environment and Information Technology
- Faculty of Management Sciences
Courses Offered at The Central University of Technology
The Central University of Technology has a wide range of courses to offer to prospective students. Let’s take a run through some of these courses under the respective faculties.
Faculty of Engineering, Built Environment, And Information Technology
- Civil Engineering Diploma
- Electrical Diploma
- Computer networking
- Engineering: Construction Management
- Engineering: Health and Safety Management (Construction)
- Engineering: Quantity Surveying
- Engineering Technology in Mechanical Engineering
- Engineering: Hydrology and Water Resources Management
- Information Technology
- For further readings on the courses, kindly visit this website- https://www.cut.ac.za/programmes-offered
Application Fee at CUT
The management of the Central University of Technology has made it clear that there is no application fee required from prospective students. Should anyone demand such from you, be in the know that you are being swindled by someone under pretences.
How To Register/Registration Fee at CUT
The 2022 registration fee at the Central University of Technology is estimated between R100 to R300. Students are expected to pay this fee before they proceed to apply.
It should be noted that this fee will not be refunded under any circumstance.
How To Register- Online
- First and foremost, click on this link: https://enroll.cut.ac.za/pls/prodi41/w99pkg.mi_login
- Then log in with your student’s number and the pin provided to you
- Select’Rules and Regulations’
- After reading all rules and regulations, click on the accept button
- Proceed to select ‘Submit Registration’
- Select employment status and desired subjects
- Click on ‘I Accept Registration’ to finalize the registration process
- Click on ‘Proof of Registration’ to print your proof of registration
- You have finally completed your registration process
Want To Find Out Your Application Status?
The Central University of Technology has mentioned that application processes may take a few weeks to be processed. It may take between 4 to 6 weeks.
Below we have listed step by step guide to tracking your application status.
- Visit https://www.cut.ac.za/acadappstatus
- surf your mouse cursor to ”Study at CUT” and click on check application status
- Please enter an ID / Passport no.
- Click on Check to witness your current status
CUT Application Dates
Application dates at the Central University of Technology are expected to be opened between April to November 2022.
- 1. International Applications should be available before 29 October
- 2. South African Applications should be available before 30 November
CUT Undergraduate Prospectus- Download
CUT Postgraduate Prospectus- Download