Does your child need the GDE admissions either as a Grade 1 or Grade 8 learner? Would you like to find out what steps you should take and what documents you need to provide? Having all of this information and following the steps stated by the GDE is essential. It will determine what would happen eventually to the application status of your child.
So, whether you are a parent or a guardian, you have to know the processes involved in the application on behalf of your child/ward. Read on to find out all the details you can benefit from.
Enter details of the parent/legal guardian
Include the information about the learner
Applying to a school
*You can apply to a maximum of 5 schools per child
*Make sure that you bring all documents within the period of seven days of the online application for school admission
Being responsible that all learners in the Gauteng Province have compulsory basic education, the Gauteng Department of Education makes it possible for children to have access to quality teaching, learning, and assessment. To be familiar with the GDE online registration 2021 process is crucial. As a parent or guardian, you also need to know the required documents that must be submitted, how to choose a school for your child/ward, and also, what to do in case your child/ward is denied admission in a school.
How do I apply for a school place?
When starting the Gauteng Department of Education online registration for your child, you should follow three important steps in the application process. These stages include:
- Entering the details of the parent/legal guardian
- Entering the learner’s details
- Applying to a school
Step 1: Enter details of the parent/legal guardian
- First of all, you have to press the “Apply for 2021” button or click Register when you open the official website of the GDE. You must accept the Terms and Conditions and click Continue to proceed with an application. Then you will proceed to the page is where you would need to type your information.
- When the “Enter Parent/Guardian Details” form appears, you have to fill in every field marked with an asterisk. The required information consists of the municipality, street name and number, your phone number and so on. Then, you will have to enter your South African ID number. You can leave the fields with the landline and email address.
- In the application process, you will have to create a username as well as a password. You will need this password while accessing the main application. The password has to be unique and consist of 8 characters, including a capital letter, small letters, a special character and numbers. Do not forget it, write it down and keep it in a safe place. However, if you forget the password or username, you can reset it.
Step 2: Include the information about the learner
On the next page titled Enter Learners Details you have to:
- Type the information of your child including the fact whether the learner is South African or not, the identification number, province, and the current grade.
- Once you have filled all the required fields, you should click the “Submit Learner Details” button.
Step 3: Applying to a school
Then you should follow these steps:
1. Choose an application option. You will have to select one of the options: home address, sibling, work address, school within 30-kilometre radius, school beyond 30-kilometre radius and school of focus learning. There are also two options that you can use for placement but not for application; they are boarding school and previous school.
- When you select the “home address” or “work address” option, the system will automatically filter the schools and ask you to choose one from the options that are either close to your home or work.
- If you choose the “sibling” option, it is possible to apply to a school where the sibling studies. It is needed to give the information about the sibling including their name, surname and the school.
- If you decide to use the option considering the school within or beyond 30-kilometre radius of home address, the system will provide you with all the schools within or beyond the radius so you can select a certain school.
- The last option you can opt for is “school of focus learning”, the list of such type of schools will pop up. The learner will have to complete admission tests.